This year URI North America Cooperation Circles and Affiliates are living into our purpose of creating “cultures of peace, justice and healing for the Earth and all living beings” on and around Earth Day, April 22nd, 2016 by putting on a variety of events. Read on for inspiration on how to celebrate Earth Day and let us know if your events is not listed below.
- April 15th – Film screening and post-viewing discussion on the film “Just Eat It – A Food Waste Story” from 6-9pm. Film Synonpsis: Filmmakers and food lovers Jen and Grant dive into the issue of food waste from farm, through retail, all the way to the back of their own fridge. After catching a glimpse of the billions of dollars of good food that is tossed each year in North America, they pledge to quit grocery shopping and survive only on discared food. What they find is truly shocking.”
- May 31st – <Earth Care Event featuring Laura Richter. Details to come.
- April 15th – 24th – Faith Climate Action Week (Formerly known as the “Preach-In”). Interfaith Power & Light’s campaign for climate healing and action is now a whole week of activities celebrated around Earth Day. Now in its seventh year, the Faith Climate Action Week has reached close to 2-million people with more than 5,000 climate and Earth stewardship sermons and talks nationwide. REGISTER for FREE DOWNLOADABLE KIT with Organizer’s Instructions/DIY Postcards to Senators/Letter Writing Talking Points/Action Petition/Handouts -AND- Take a look at their SAMPLE SERMONS AND TALKS(organized by faith tradition). Looking for more Interfaith Power & Light events in your area? Click here.
- April 22nd – The Earth Day Climate Prayer is bringing together 100,000 people of all faiths to pray for climate healing. At 12pm your time, pause and take a moment to feel the power of prayer and to recommit to caring for the Earth. Sign up here to join the prayer.
- April 23rd – “Linking Our Faith to Accelerated Action.” From 1-4pm at Walnut Creek United Methodist Church, 1543 Sunnyvale Ave, Walnut Creek. Panel discussions will address: Faith Against Fracking / Decarbonizing for Healthy Communities / Pricing Carbon.
The United Nations
- April 22nd – The U.N signs the Paris Climate Change Agreement.
- April 16th – 22nd – Earth Day Speaker Series, Presentations and Screenings. Charter for Compassion’s list of events make it clear that “compassion isn’t soft or ‘touchy feely.’ It is ACTION DRIVEN.” All of these virtual events are accesible all over the world – Don’t forget to register!
- Saturday, April 16, 9 am PDT: Screening of “How Do Humans Heal a World?” with Barbara Kaufmann, Walking Moon Studios, and Sommer Albertsen, Compassion Games International. Register here.
- Sunday, April 17, 9am PDT: Climate, Compassion and Community Building: Sustainability with Justice with Paloma Pavel and Carl Anthony. Register here.
- Monday, April 18, 9am PDT: Love this Place, Serve the Earth: Collaboration is Necessary for the Earth with Jon Ramer and Joey Crotty. Register here.
- Tuesday, April 19, 9am PDT: Practicing Green Compassion: Can We Re-Green the World in OneGeneration? with Marc Barasch. Register here.
- Wednesday, April 20, 9am PDT: “The Science of Climate Change” with Dr. David Poister. Register here.
- Thursday, April 21, 9am PDT: Shifts in the Culture around Climate with Sarah van Gelder of Yes! Magazine and George Price of the University of Montana. Register here.
EARTH DAY: Friday, April 22, 9am PDT: Ignite Engagement for Earth Stewardship Across Generations with Jane Goodall, URI Global Council Trustee Chief Phil Lane, Jr., Rex Weyler and Xiuhtezcatl. Register here.