International Day of Peace Resources
Millions of people around the world will celebrate this day. Will you be among them?
International Day of Peace (IDP), and the days leading up to and following it, are a time of collective impact, a season for the global community to come together. Participation in IDP can range from focusing your daily spiritual practice toward peace to joining in or coordinating peaceful action — such as a walk for peace in Baltimore or a peace concert in California. No matter where you are, we’re encouraging you to pray for peace at noon local time on September 21 to send a wave of prayer across the world! Below are some resources you may find helpful as you prepare for International Day of Peace:
- Glance through the URI North America International Day of Peace Program Bank to see how other Cooperation Circles and Affiliates are celebrating. The Program Bank also provides you with the organizer’s contact information so you can contact them with any questions you might have!
- From interfaith services, to service projects such as tree plantings, food and school supply collections and distribution, to cultural events, Cooperation Circles around the world have been celebrating IDP for many years. Click here and here to see event reports from previous years! We also have media tips, sample proclamations and more in our resource section.
- Print and share the International Day of Peace poster and postcard and read the United Nations resources.
- From Sep. 11-21, URI North America Affiliate, We, The World, will hold the “11 Days of Global Unity” campaign – a worldwide convergence of festivals, concerts, forums, rallies and other programs promoting peace, justice, sustainability and transformation.
- The Compassion Games, an initiative of the The Compassionate Action Network International Cooperation Circle, are played yearly from Sep. 11 – 21. This year’s theme is “Compassion is Our Power Source.”
- With 13 Nobel Peace Prize Laureates leading this campaign, One Billion Acts of Peace hopes to inspire 1 billion acts of peace by 2019. Go to their website and be inspired by the acts they’ve recorded, and submit your own to enter to win a trip to New York to celebrate IDP.
- Ahead of Oprah’s October premier of a series on Belief, organizers are encouraging participants to engaging in BELIEF Days of Compassion and Healing from September 11 – September 21. Click here to read more and here to access their resources.
When you share your plans for International Day of Peace, members of your North America Cooperation Circle or Affiliate will automatically qualify to apply for a partially-funded visit to celebrate World Interfaith Harmony Week at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City (February 2016). Special consideration will be given to youth. Keep an eye out for more details in the coming weeks and months!