International Day of Peace is just around the corner!
Every year on September 21st, people around the world celebrate the United Nations’ International Day of Peace (IDP), a day devoted to strengthening the ideals of peace both within and among all nations and peoples. Activities and events range from peace walks to concerts, and include art showcases, community outreach and peace education programs.
Will you join millions of people around the world celebrating this day? We want to publicize your work on a regional and global stage! Click “Click “Create an Event” below to tell us about your plans and, when you do, your event will be featured on our #TangibleHope Blog and alongside thousands of other events on
Opportunity to Visit the United Nations
In addition to all of the above, when you share your plans for International Day of Peace, members of your North America Cooperation Circle or Affiliate will automatically qualify to apply for a partially-funded visit to celebrate World Interfaith Harmony Week at the United Nations Headquarters in New York City (February 2017). Special consideration will be given to youth. Keep an eye out for more details in the coming weeks and months!
Keep scrolling past the map for tools and tips to celebrate International Day of Peace this year.
Tools, Tips & More
- Looking for ideas for how to celebrate? Check out the International Day of Peace Program Bank packed full of ideas from your fellow URI members. Get more media coverage of your event with our press release template and media tips.
- The official 2016 International Day of Peace poster or postcard are available for you to print at the links above.
- URI North America Affiliate We, The World, invites you to celebrate the 11 Days of Global Unity, leading up to IDP. Consider joining this worldwide convergence of festivals, concerts, forums, rallies and other programs surrounding 11 themes. Want to join in? Click here to learn more or join the online 11 Days of Global Unity Summit.
- Already have another event planned around this time? Consider adding a recognition of IDP to your event. For ideas on how to do this, check out URI’s IDP Toolcard.
- Don’t forget to add #PeaceDay and #TangibleHope to your posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to help create a buzz on social media. For more information about the power of hashtags, click here.
Sustainable Development GoalsThis year’s IDP theme is “The Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace.” These 17 global goals were adopted by the United Nations to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030.
Much of the work already being done by URI members falls within these action areas. Click HERE to read more about how these goals can tie into and enhance the work you are already doing!